Wednesday 5 September 2012

Mac Studio Fix Fluid - Review

This was my first ever purchase from Mac and prompted a bit of a love affair with the range.  I moved to Norwich for university and they had a Mac store and I had only ever seen the products on blogs etc, so was massively excited to try their stuff out.  I went in and asked for a foundation, and in true Mac style, the girl in the store did my foundation for me.  On subsequent trips to Mac, they have been surprised I was originally given the Studio Fix Fluid as it is traditionally for oily skin.  But I suspect this may be because their ‘hydrating’ foundations weren’t around in those days.

I bought this in NC25 and the colour match is perfect.  I love foundations with a yellow undertone as I find them much more flattering as they cut out the red in my skin. 

The fluid is quite runny, and the bottle isn’t ideal for this as it is a glass bottle which is open at the neck and therefore you have to do a bit of a controlled pour to get the product out.  I understand you can buy a pump separately that can be screwed on.

My sister always says this product reminds her (both smell and texture) of paint.  And it does have that sort of essence about it.  It does have good coverage, and I did use this as my fail-safe foundation for a good year or so.  The problem I find is that it collects in my pores and leaves me with quite a dry mask-like appearance after a few hours of wear.  You can see it sitting on top of my skin - I’d imagine it works better on oilier skins. 

If I use a foundation brush you can see the brush marks and I have to go back and rub these in.  Generally it takes a lot of blending to make it look even.  I’d say it is on the medium to heavy side, you definitely know when you are wearing it.  I still use this foundation but only to touch up areas of my face that need more coverage if I am using a tinted moisturiser-type foundation.  Tinted moisturisers are traditionally dewier in their finish, so I normally apply this on my forehead, chin and around my nose, basically using it a bit like a concealer.  The combination of the tinted moisturiser and matte Mac foundation tend to balance each other out.

But it is more a case that I am using this product up...I don’t think I would readily purchase it again.  It is just too matte and drying, which is a shame because I like the shade and coverage.

You can see my natural skin in the post below.

The coverage isn't too bad but if you look closely around my chin you can see what I mean about the brush marks.  It is definitely very mask-like and collects in my pores really badly.  It does cover my redness but I think that is more because it is a yellow-based foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment