Sunday 28 April 2013

OPI I Brake for Manicures - Review

My Mum, sisters and I decided it was girly spa day time last Friday.  Our local spa had an amazing offer on, so we spent the day in fluffy robes and oversized slippers, hopping between the sauna and the jacuzzi....beats a day in the office for sure!

One problem with the spa is that they have a rather large, rather conspicuous OPI tester stand just loitering outside the restaurant.  What started as a casual stroll out of the restaurant after lunch, ended in an absolute OPI-fest.  My sisters, Mum & I are terrible when we're all together, we can talk each other into purchasing ANYTHING.  We left the restaurant area 6 nail varnishes and 1 Avo-juice hand lotion later - and believe me, this was restrained.

The nailvarnish I purchased was "I Brake For Manicures" and continues my love affair with dark OPI nail colours.  I've made no secret in the past of my obsession with "Lincoln Park after Dark", and I do firmly believe that you need to spend that bit more on dark nailvarnishes, as the finish is a lot more noticeable. Right, excuses made.

"I Brake For Manicures" caught my eye as it was dark, but had a really unusual slate-grey/plum tinge to it.  I can't say I have seen a colour like it before, although it is one of those colours where you find people calling it different things.  I would call it plum/grey, my sister couldn't see any plum in it at all, and the beauty lady we bought it from said "ah it is my favourite brown". BROWN!? Anyway...



 The application is typical standard OPI...good consistency, good pigmentation of colour and good staying power.  I did have to put three coats on to get a really thick, glossy coverage but I think this is partly due to my nails being extremely dry following the removal of a gelish manicure (lots of acetone, never ideal).



I have to admit, I'm a little in love with this colour.  I think it is a much edgier version of "Lincoln Park after Dark".  Lincoln is definitely a classy, well groomed type of dark nailvarnish, which looks wicked with a high gloss finish.  This is definitely a more grungy colour, but the plum tones add a pretty, luxe finish.  I'm not grungy by any means, but it lets me dip my toe into that kind of look (plus I did buy biker boots the other day...) 

I think you can tell it is OPI, because something OPI do really well with their dark colours, is add colour depth and dimension. There is a richness to the colour which keeps shades like this (which might normally look a bit dull) looking full and luxurious.

This is the colour in sunlight with no flash (for info)

I sense I am going to be wearing this A LOT...mainly as I think it offers a slightly softer alternative to Lincoln, which will carry me through Spring better. 

Oh OPI I do love you and your bloody brilliant dark nailvarnishes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment