Tuesday 23 April 2013

Eyelure Ultra Naturals - Review

Regular followers of my blog will know I have notorious problems trying to find fake eyelashes that don't make me look like a drag queen! 

Basically my eyes are very small and quite deep set, which does not provide a good base for long, extravagant lashes (which I have found most fake eyelashes to be!)

My best friend got married recently and I was lucky enough to be her bridesmaid.  In an effort to look vaguely glamorous on the day, I decided to re-open my epic fake-eyelash search.

I came across Eyelure's Ultra Natural eyelashes in Superdrug, retailing at just over £5.  They stood out on the shelf as being smaller and much less 'bushy' than the others.  I was a bit worried they might not actually make any difference, but having promised the bride-to-be that I wouldn't turn up looking like Lady Gaga, I decided it was best to err on the side of caution.  My natural eyelashes have been quite full lately anyway, possibly due to using my Una Brennan Facial Oil.



I was actually really impressed with these.  Just a quick disclaimer though - if you are looking for dramatic eyelashes then these are definitely not for you.  They are definitely intended to enhance your natural lashes rather than give you a full-on fake eyelash look.

I only had to cut a bit off the end of the lashes in order to fit my eye (you can see the part I cut off in the photo below).  I always cut fake eyelashes slightly shorter than the lash line of my eye, as I think 'overhang' is a real tell-tale sign that you're wearing fakes.  For some people this isn't an issue, as they are wearing eyelashes as a statement accessory, but in this case I wasn't trying to look like I had fake eyelashes on.


The length of the lashes do not follow a traditional style, in that the longest lashes are in the middle and not on one side.  I'd therefore say these are more intended to open your eye up, rather than create a feline, almond shape.  But WARNING!  I didn't pay attention to the length and just cut the ends off willy-nilly.  Naughty.  Cutting them slightly changed the length variation so that now there was one end that was longer than the other.  Stupidly, I'd cut both lashes so that the longer end was on the right.  So basically both lashes now only fitted my right eye.  Fail.  However because the length variation isn't too pronounced, I did get away with it.  But if you are cutting them, make sure you do it so you have one lash where the length is to the right, and one where the length is to your left.  Absolute schoolgirl error on my part.

I found the application really easy, and the glue lasted all day (and by all day I mean a 14 hour wedding day with a lot of tears...what can I say, I'm a sucker for a wedding!)

I was pleased with the end result.  The extra lashes took the pressure off my own lashes, and definitely made them look fuller.  The length was not much longer than my own, and my natural eyelashes aren't that long.  Having said that, they looked completely natural, so they certainly do what they say on the tin (or plastic box).  You couldn't tell I had eyelashes on. 

I'm not sure they have solved my epic eyelash search though.  If I want natural enhancement, then these are definitely going to be my go-to lash, but they lack a bit of drama which I think you sometimes need from fake eyelashes, especially for a night out.  I took a photo, but unfortunately we were in a mega rush to get to the church and so it came out really blurry :(

I appreciate I haven't given you anything to compare it too, but I can say my eyelashes do not normally look this full., and you can get a feel for how natural they looked.  For info, I normally have really squitty, stubby, sparse eyelashes. 

So if you have small eyes and want some fail-safe lashes that natually enhance your eyes, I'd definitely recommend these.  If you're after drama, then I'd give these a skip.

On a slightly seperate note...the bride had individual eyelash extensions done at a salon, and her eyelashes looked unreal.  They looked so full and long and because they'd been applied lash by lash, they followed the line of her eye perfectly.  You'd never have guessed she had extensions on.  She paid about £75 for them, but if you have a big event to go to, I'd say give it a thought.  They honestly looked so effective and so gorgeous and her eyes look amazing in all the photos I have seen of the wedding.  Wedding guests were commenting on them all day!  Note these are different to the 'bundled' extensions you can buy in high street shops like Boots, which I understand some salons offer.  I'll pop a photo up of her lashes when I've uploaded all my pics of the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment