Sunday 27 October 2013

Lipstick Brights




I am a massive fan of a bright lip.  I think it can completely make an outfit and really freshen up your look. I do think bright lips are a bit marmite ... some people rave about them when I wear them, and others give you that "ooo crikey. That's bright!" kind of awkward-balloon comment.  But personally I love bright lipstick colours and I think they work on any hair colour/skin tone - you just need to get the right shade to compliment you.

It's not always easy to establish the right colour, and it can be a bit trial and error, which is why I only ever buy cheaper high-street lip colours.  That way, if you get it home and it just doesn't work with your tone, then you haven't wasted too much of your hard-earned cash.  My tip though is to swatch a bit on your hand in the shop, locate a mirror, and hold your hand up over your mouth.  It isn't a perfect method, but it does mean you can see how the colour works with your skin tone...eye colour...hair colour etc.

I've built up a little collection of bright lipsticks, the majority of which are matte textures.  Until recently I was dead against a shiny bright lip.  I think matte brights look more edgy and high end, and even though this goes against every piece of lip-advice I've ever read, I actually think matte lipsticks make my lips look fuller.

So here is my vibrant little collection.....


...and swatched



You'll notice the majority of my brights are True Colour lipsticks by Sleek (the three in the middle).  I LOVE the Sleek True Colour lipsticks. They are £4.99 and the depth of colour they give is really impressive.  It is hands down the best I've found in cheaper high street brands. I also like them because they offer a completely matte range.  It says on the base of the lipstick whether it is matte or sheen or frost, but most of their brighter colours come in the matte texture.

And these are mega matte.  You can feel the degree of matte-ness when you apply them, as they drag quite a bit.  I actually find this makes the lipstick easier to control as you apply, but it might not appeal to some people, especially if you're a fan of a moisturised lip.  A little tip with these as well...if you apply a bit of vaseline or a good lip balm first and then apply the lipstick, it goes on a lot more sheer.  So if the vivid pop of colour you get from the matte texture is a bit daunting or a bit too much, try putting plenty of moisture onto your lips first. 

These lipsticks also aren't fab if you've got a dry, crusty lip situation going down.  They will collect in any dry areas, but to be honest I found my higher-end Mac lipsticks still do this, so I don't think it is a sign of poor quality.  Just give your lips a cheeky exfoliation with a lip exfoliator or a dry flannel before applying the lipstick and all should be okay.

The Sleek lipsticks I own are Heart Breaker, Papaya Punch and Mystic.

Sleek Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker is hands down my favourite of my Sleek lipsticks.  It is a bright fuschia pink, which has very slight coral-undertones.  I think the coral undertones make the colour a lot more vibrant than if it were just a flat fuschia pink.  I always end up reaching for this colour if I want to go for a brighter lip - it generally goes with most outfits and it looks brilliant in the summer with a bit of a tan.

The first photo below is what it looks like completely matte and just applied straight onto my lips. The second photo is the same lipstick but with lip balm on first, so you can see it gives a slightly more sheer, toned down finish.




Papaya Punch
Papaya is probably one of my least used brights.  It is a very coral-orange colour, but with pink undertones which result in quite a watemelon-y type colour.  I'm a bit scared of coral-based shades as my great-aunts used to rock this colour out a lot (the oldies love a bit of a bright lip!) and the first time I bought a coral lipstick my Mum was like "oh Great Auntie Muriel wore one like that" ... and it killed it a little.  This Sleek shade is quite a fresh colour though, and for this reason it looks great in the summer with a slight tan.  The photo doesn't do justice to how vibrant it is (I honestly tried to take it so many times!)  The swatch above is a lot more of a true representation of the colour.  And if you don't have my weird Great-Aunt association going on, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than I do..




Mystic

Mystic is my opinion-divider when it comes to my bright lipsticks.  It is a deep purple-pink colour, with blue undertones. I love this shade but some people find it a bit too purple-based.  It gives the best depth of colour of all of my Sleek shades, and despite it being a slightly more unusual colour, I find it still goes with practically everything.  It looks really effective with a neat black liquid-eyeliner-flicked eye and it is definitely my go-to colour in the winter.  It is a bit more edgy than the more traditional shades, but I love the way it is a slightly darker colour but still has the vibrant effect that the lighter pink/coral shades have. 





MAC Impassioned

This was the first ever bright lipstick I bought, and I can remember thinking it was one of the scariest make-up purchases I had ever made.  For the first few months I owned it I barely wore it, and when I did I used to blot it like a crazy lady till the majority of the colour had faded out.  But now I pack this on.  It is a fuschia pink with blue-y undertones but also a bit of coral-warmth thrown in.  I think this shade would suit the majority of skin tones, as I think there's a lot of undertones going on which different skin tones would pick out.  It is from MAC's Amplified range, which contains the majority of their more vibrant, bright, neon shades.  The consistency is typical MAC - creamy, rich, a joy to apply.  This covers your lips in a strong pigmented shade with one swipe, and if you blot and reapply this a couple of times, it gives a really strong colour which will last you an impressive amount of hours.  It doesn't quite have the vivid neon undertones that the Sleek ones have, which means it is a little less "in your face" and maybe slightly more refined.  For example I would totally wear this to a wedding, but I probably wouldn't rock my Sleek ones out.  It is more expensive - MAC lipsticks are retailing around £14-£15 these days - and in all honesty I probably wouldn't rush out and buy lots of MAC brights, as I think the high street offerings are just as good for a fraction of the price.  But I do have a little soft spot for my Impassioned lipstick.


 Barry M 146

This is one of Barry M's lip paints and retails about a fiver.  One of the things Barry M is known for is their strong pigmentation - whether it is their nail paints, or their dazzle dust pots, you can always count on the colour pay off being impressive.  The lip paints are no different, but calling them 'paints' is quite apt, as I do find these sit on top of my lips a little more than other lipstick brands.  I often have to blend the colour in a bit with my finger and give it a good few blots and reapplications.  Having said that, their colour range is good and the colour lasts.  Watch out for the different types of consistency though.  I thought all their paints were the same, but I bought a coral one a few months back and it was completely sheer. So give it a swatch before you buy.  The 146 shade is a completely unashamed bright pink barbie colour.  It is as girly as pink gets in my opinion!  It has definite cool blue undertones and looks almost a little lilac-based in some lights.  I love wearing this with baby pink blusher on the apples of my cheeks too, as it gives a really fresh, pretty, girly look. 






Kate Moss for Rimmel 01

The 'Kate Moss' lipsticks have definitely been a success for Rimmel, and when they brought out a matte range, I think they were definitely on to a winner.  The 01 shade is actually one of the original range (not the matte ones) but still has quite a matte texture once applied.  It is creamy to apply, but has that slight drag that you get from a lipstick that leans a little more towards matte.  The colour pigmentation is amazing, it is right up there with MAC and I actually prefer the finish of the Rimmel lipsticks as they aren't quite so glossy. I only own 01 (I say I own it, it is actually my little sister's and she may kill me a little if she reads this) but I seriously want to buy more. The lasting power is impressive too, and I'm in love with this red shade.  It is a really deep red, with definite pink undertones, which I think makes the colour a bit more vibrant and cheeky than a bog-standard red.  It definitely isn't a classic Hollywood glamour red, but I like the pink undertones as I think it lifts it a bit.  I always feel so glam when I wear this, and I own MAC's Russian Red, and I can honestly say it is such a close dupe for under half of the price (they retail at £5.99).  Rimmel also do a deeper plum which I am dying to get my hands on for winter. Anyway, love love love this colour.  If you're looking for a good, fun red - you can't go wrong with this.


So that is my bright lipstick collection!  As I said, I do own MAC's Russian Red too, but I couldn't find it (it is probably squirreled away in a clutch bag somewhere from a night out).

I thought I'd also put down a few tips that I've picked up from wearing bright lipsticks, especially for any bright lippy novices out there.....

  • Firstly, try and go for colours which have some sort of blue undertone.  It can be really subtle, like the pink undertones of the Sleek Papaya Punch shade, but it just means it will be a much more flattering shade.  Blue-undertones make your teeth look whiter, whereas orangey-undertones will make them look more yellow.  Lipsticks with true orange-undertones can be so difficult to pull off and they can distort the look of the rest of your make up, like your bronzer, foundation etc, making it look way more orange.  So if you are looking for a red or a coral, try and find ones with a bluey-pink undertone. 

  • Every beauty person in the world will tell you that applying a lipliner first will improve the neatness of our lipstick and also increase it's staying power.  I have found this to be very true, but seriously, you try finding bright lip liners.  They literally do not exist.  I have hunted the high street for them and never found any - especially ones that would match my more random colours like the Sleek Mystic.  But I found an answer to my dilemma a few weeks back when I purchased Rimmel's new clear lip liner. This isn't a new concept as I remember my Mum having one of these yeeears ago, but basically it is a creamy waxy pen which has no colour at all.  I outline my lips in this and then scribble a bit over my lips, and then apply my lipstick, and I just find it keeps my lipstick in place and vibrant for so much longer.  And it means you only need one lipliner for your entire collection, so I would definitely recommend it.

  • I touched upon this tip higher up, but basically if you are wearing a bright or matte lipstick, your lips need to be in tip top condition.  I neglect my lips SO much, so normally when it comes to putting lipstick on I'm like 'damnit the lips are dry!'.  My top lazy beauty tip for a mega quick solution is to rub your lips gently with a dry flannel or a pair of exfoliating gloves, then whack on a decent lip balm or moisturiser, then leave it all to sink in whilst you apply the rest of your face, or do your hair, and then put the lipstick on last.  This always works for me.
So there we go.  Go crazy with your brights girls!! x

No comments:

Post a Comment