Thursday 18 July 2013

My hair product heroes

In the grand scheme of the hair world, I do not have the easiest hair.  It is long, and there is a lot of it.  It is the kind of hair that makes the juniors in the hair salon want to cry a bit inside when they are given my hair to wash and blowdry.

When it comes to controlling my unruly little mane, I used to make the mistake of assuming my hair was thick.  This was a faux pas.  It wasn't until I innocently made this comment to my amazing hairdresser, that she explained my hair wasn't thick and coarse, it was actually fine.  I just had a LOT of it.

Literally, if I'd have had a lightbulb handy, I'd have lit that little bugger up and held it above the many fine strands of hair on my head.  You see, I'd always been drawn towards hair products designed for thick, coarse and unruly hair, but had always found these to weigh my hair down and make it greasy and limp.  So I re-visited the hair product aisle in my local Boots and started perusing the fine hair products, and lo and behold, I found some that worked wonders on my hair.

This little moment of enlightenment with my hairdresser occurred a year or so ago, so I have now decided I have finally reached a point where I have built up a little wonder team of hair products that I repeatedly use and re-purchase.

Not all of them are for fine hair...in fact I'm not even sure any of them are, but I wanted to share my "fine-but-lots-of-it" story as I thought it might enlighten any other ladies out there who are under the illusion their hair is thick.  Consider yourself enlightened!

Anyway..I digress.  Here are my go-to, love-them, use-them-all-the-time wonder products! Ta dahhh.....!

Batiste Dry Shampoo in  Blush


Booo, boring I know.  But I am the biggest fan of Batiste's dry shampoo.  For me, they're a root-killer and greasy hair supehero in a can.  And a pretty can at that.

I've mentioned this before in my blog post about bleached hair (see here) but I swear by this dry shampoo when my roots are getting a little too long for comfort.  There's nothing rocket science about it, it is just that the dry shampoo deposits a white residue that quite simply kicks out some of my nasty dark roots.  You also get the added benefits that it makes the hair look less greasy, it adds volume and texture, and generally makes it easier to tease, style, backcomb, pin, curl (you get the point).  Now I must stress that I cannot vouch for this for my brunette/dark/redhead girlies out there, but for us (fake) blondes, this is a styling staple.

A completely unnecessary piece of information, but my favourite scent is 'Blush'.  Can't say why really...it just smells fresh and girly and nice!

Kerastase Nectar Thermique


 
This is probably one of the more expensive products I own for my hair.  At approximately £16 it isn't a bank breaker but it is the kind of price that makes me a little uncomfortable when I am parting with my money.  But be reassured, as this lasts a long, long time.  I must have owned mine for well over 8 months and I use it on the ends of my hair pretty much every time I wash it (twice a week) and I'm about three quarters of the way through the bottle.
 
I saw this reviewed on Fleur De Force's Youtube channel and thought I'd give it a whizz as my hair is dryyyy.  It is touted as a heat-styling protection for dry to very dry hair, but I find it to be a great smoothing product.  I rub a small pea-size amount into the ends of my hair after washing and then comb it through and dry as normal and I definitely think this makes my hair softer and less coarse and flyaway.  It definitely isn't greasy and it has quite a subtle, warm smell to it.  It is an added bonus that it also protects against heat products, as I literally ravage my hair with straighteners. 
 
The long and short of it is, that after trying a LOT of blowdry/smoothing creams, this is by far the lightest but most effective one.  I'd recommend it to any hair type.  It's a dream.
 
Moroccan Oil Treatment
 

If my hair is feeling particularly dry and unhappy, then I skip my Kerastase Nectar Thermique and bring out this heavyweight.  Now I know this product has literally burst onto the haircare scene over the last year or so, but I first read about this a few years ago when Lauren Conrad from The Hills said it was her haircare secret.  Conrad is a massive hair crush of mine, so if it was good enough for her...!  The one problem for me was the price.  At over £30 it is pricey.  So I bought this smaller 15ml bottle for about £8 and it has lasted SO long.  I've had it about a year and a half and although I only use it now and then, I'm only a third through. 

This is becase you only need a teeeeeeny tiny amount of this.  A little goes a long way, even if it doesn't feel like it does.  I can't really put my finger on what this product does.  It smoothes your hair, makes it more manageable and gets rid of flyaway and split ends.  Yet it seems to do something more...  It is literally like a drink for your hair.  I don't use this all the time as I find it a tad heavy for regular use, and if I go just a tiny bit over on the amount then my hair does look greasy.  But as an occasional hair treat, it is a winner.  I apply it after I've washed my hair, through the ends only, whilst it is wet.  If my hair is particularly dry, I very occasionally use it on dry hair to hydrate the ends off.

Aussie Luscious Long Leave-in Conditioner


Not a great deal to share about this product, other than it is one of the best all-round leave in conditioners I've tried.  I spray it all over my hair when I get out of the shower, and BEFORE combing it.  It is light enough to use on your roots and all over.  I 100% think my hair is easier to comb after using this.  It also leaves my hair with THE nicest scent of fruity coconut, which stays on the hair for a while.  It also has the added bonus of protecting your hair against heat, and the more I can get of that, the better!

Schwarzkopf Got2B Dfine hyper wax


I stumbled across this product a bit.  When I curl my hair, I always need something to neaten and define the curls, and weigh them down a bit without making my hair greasy.  My most-loved product for this used to be the Toni & Guy wax but they got rid of this when they rebranded (disaster!)

I bought this on e on offer in Superdrug for £2 but it is only normally about £4.  You get a decent size pot for your money (75ml), and it has the nicest smell.  It is really fresh and fruity and again, the smell stays on your hair for a good amout of time.  The beauty of this product though is the texture.  It is really hard to describe, you have to just try a bit and rub it between your fingers to see what I mean.  In the pot it is quite light and whipped but when you rub it on your hair it goes quite matte and rigid, and it is PERFECT for defining curls. 

I always curl my hair with GHDs and after I rub a small amount of this between my palms and smooth it down the ends of the curl it just defines and neatens them like a dream.  Because it is light, it also doesn't make the hair greasy so you can reapply several times to really seperate and define your curls.  I am such a fan of this product.  It turns the most ringlet-y bouncy curls into sleek waves.  Love, love, love it.

Tigi Bedhead After Party
 
My final hair product is my old faithful Tigi Bed Head After Party.   I have been using this since university, so over 8 (ahem) years now.  I can honestly say it is my favourite hair product of all time.  It is a smoothing cream and it smells divine.  I can't tell you what the smell is as I can't describe it, but it is potent and it is gorgeous smelling and I can't stop sniffing it whilst writing this...
 
I smooth this on my hair when it is dry and it controls it like nothing else.  The best thing about it though is it is completely non-greasy.  I've never gone overboard with this and been left with greasy hair.  You can literally smooth it over the ends and it will calm them and soften them and make them look like they haven't been ravaged by bleach.  It is fool proof and NOTHING out there is as effective, believe me.  Use it on straight hair, curly hair, waved hair, on the tip of your ponytail, on the ends of your fringe..it is just so versatile and so effective.  At about £8-£9, you literally cannot afford to not have this in your hair kit.  Buy it.  Now!
 
Tangle Teezer
 


I was a bit sceptical about this hairbrush.  It claimed to be a wonder tool for tangled hair but it looked such a random shape and the bristles looked so...well...pathetic.  But I saw a blogger who has amazing long hair say she swears by it, so off I went.  It costs £8 which isn't the cheapest for a hair brush, but my my, does it work.  I won't use anything else on my hair now when it is wet and fresh from the shower.  The weird little chubby design means the brush sits perfectly in your hand so you get a decent grip.  Then you literally brush it through your hair and it really gets through those tangles a treat.  My hair gets SO tangly.  The juniors in the hair salon often look a little like they want to cry when they are given my birds nest to comb through - maybe I should bring this little baby with me..!? Anyway.  I don't know why it works, apparently it is something to do with those pathetic looking bristles (they bend better?) but when I find a wonder product I don't tend to worry myself too much with why it works. It works, it is pink, and I get so much less broken hair from using it.  Winner winner.
 
 
So...that's the end of my epic-ly long journey through my hair care wonder products.  If you want any more information on any of them then pop a comment below and I'll do my best to assist.  Happy haircare buying!! x

No comments:

Post a Comment