Saturday 27 July 2013

Maxfactor 2000 Calories mascara

When you have teeny tiny eyes like mine you quickly learn that mascara is your best friend, and when it comes to different brands, mascara has to be the only cosmetic where I am fiercely loyal.

Ever since I can remember I have sworn by Maxfactor 2000 Calories mascara.  My Mum uses it and first introduced me to it, my little sister uses it, and I've introduced it to (forced it upon) a number of my friends.

I have tried other brands in the past, and there were some notable products which tempted me away for a while, but I've always come back to the old faithful 2000 Calories.

I've got a confession to make though ... I may not have come back to this one if Revlon hadn't gone and discontinued the mascara love-of-my-life, aka Revlon 3D Extreme (RIP).  But enough about that....lets get down to business.

Maxfactor 2000 Calories is a stalwart of the Maxfactor range, and has been around for years.  I think it might be a bit of a staple for a lot of women though, as Maxfactor recently revived it with a cheeky ad campaign and a very slight change to the packaging.  Luckily they didn't appear to mess with the actual formula though.  But I think this is a sign it must have decent sales, as you don't tend to get many cosmetic products relaunched.



I have short, squitty, sparse eyelashes and (I've made this point 100 times before, but let's make it again) I have VERY small eyes.  They're quite deep set, my eyelid is practically non-existent and the skin under my eyebrow is quite heavy.  In a nutshell, my eyes wouldn't ever appear on a list of my best features.

Maxfactor 2000 Calories is literally one of the only mascaras which really loads up the volume on my lashes.  It does clump a bit, which I know a lot of people don't like, but personally I embrace a clump or two as it makes my lashes look a bit more bulky and thick.

I think one of the secrets behind this product is the brush.  It is the old-school type with bristles and the head is a typical size of a couple of centimetres.  The bristles look like lots of fine bristles packed tightly together, and I think this is the key that makes it pile the mascara onto your lashes.  When applying mascara, you should always use a wiggle motion.  The wiggle motion is a must. Place the mascara wand at the base of your lashes and as you drag it up, wiggle the brush from side to side.  It means the mascara coats your lashes more and it holds onto them better, meaning it pulls the lashes upwards (so they curl up more). I've tried other products which have a similar-looking brush and they don't perform anywhere near as well, so there's got to be something extra about it but I have no idea what it is.



I do also use Shu Umera eyelash curlers just to help out the curl a little, but this has only been a recent addition to my make-up bag.

This mascara doesn't smudge or flake, and lasts really well.  It also comes off easily with eye-make-up remover.  The only issue I have with this is how quickly it dries out.  When you first buy it, it doesn't pack quite as much punch.  Once you've used it a couple of weeks, it starts to get more gloopy and that's when you get some seriously good lashes out of it.  A couple of months later and it has dried out quite a lot.  I think it might be because it loads so much mascara on your lashes, it runs out quite easily.  But at £7.99 it isn't the most bank-breaking product on the market.

If you need an idea of the results, I applied the mascara to one eye and not to the other, and you can see below the difference - it is quite pronounced!  I'm not going to lie, there's a fair few coats on the left eye, and I often wait for it to dry a bit and then load on another coat (it seems to apply better when my lashes are still sticky from the first coat).


Because mascaras are quite expensive and are such a key item in my make-up bag, I haven't taken the risk to dabble with many other brands for a good few years now.  But I have tried Diorshow mascara, which is meant to be the absolute daddy of the mascara world, and I didn't think it was notably better than the 2000 Calories, and the price is a LOT more. 

I'd say if you want thick, dark black, foolproof lashes...then give 2000 Calories a whirl.  Ah just look at the pretty lashes it gives you...

No comments:

Post a Comment