Thursday 23 May 2013

Topshop Eyeliner Brush and Blush in Morning Dew

I went to Westfield in Stratford last Friday armed with a Topshop gift voucher from Christmas (I know, hoarder) and every intention to buy a nifty little piece of clothing.

But what do larger Topshop stores have...? Make up.

The range in the Westfield store isn't even that extensive, but like the little make-up magpie I am, I managed to find something to buy (well...two things).

But one of them I am in LOVE with, and need to share.  Immediately.

As you may (or may not) be aware, I am a gel eyeliner convert.  I love gel eyeliner.  I'd never consider liquid liner ever again.  However my one issue with gel eyeliner is that you need a really good brush.  Up until now I have been using an Eco Tools eyeliner brush from Boots, which is the best I have found on the market for a reasonable price (about £8-9 I believe).

But look at this little beauty I found in Topshop for FOUR POUNDS!




For a start, it's pink.  And this is enjoyable.  Call me a predictable girl if you wish, but it looks nice.  However the real appeal of this brush is how tapered it is.  It manages to taper to an impressively slim point, without being too fine bristle-wise.  I tried to take a photo but as per usual my camera didn't quite want to focus...but I think you get the jist of it...?


I've already used it a couple of times to apply my eyeliner, and I'm really impressed with it.  I



t produces a really even but thin line, which is a 'must' for me and my teeny tiny eyes.
It is also quite small (shorter than a normal pencil) but not small enough to make it fiddly.  The size actually makes it easier to use in my opinion.

And it is £4!  Lovely. 


My other purchase was a bit of a dabble into blusher territory - and I don't normally wear blusher.  I am a firm bronzer girl and proud, but I have always hankered after that really pretty pink-cheek make-up look some girls can pull off really well (e.g. below)


I think it is difficult to find a pink blusher where the colour 'pops' on your cheeks without being overwhelming or staining the skin unevenly (like Benefit's Posie-Tint).

Topshop do these cream blushers which are £6 each, and they come in a range of bright, colour pop shades such as pink, coral and poppy red.

I bought the shade "Morning Dew" which is a peach-pink type of tone.  It is a really nice fresh colour, and when I swatched it on my hand it seemed suprisingly blendable and subtle.



The packaging is cute, and typical Topshop.  I like it though. It looks good and it is compact and functional.  It comes with a mirror in the lid and it is a fair size for the price.




I've used this product a couple of times already and have had compliments when I am wearing it.  It is a little out of my usual make-up comfort zone, just because I am not used to playing up my cheek area with colour.  Having said that, it is a really pretty shade and is so easy to use.  You really do not need a lot - I literally dot my finger on the cream and then rub it into the apples of my cheeks.  I like how easy it is to blend though, and it is a very even finish, which you don't often get from 'colour pop' shades like this.  It gives a really nice fresh vibrant colour, but still manages to be quite subtle.

You also cannot feel this on your skin, which I often find to be a problem with cream blushers.  They can feel heavy and sticky and 'sit' on top of the skin, but this literally blends away to nothing.

I haven't exactly tried many cream blushers before so I can't do much of a comparison, but I can say it is much lighter and less sticky than the MAC cream blusher I own, and it is much more hydrating and blendable than the Maybelline dream matte mousse blusher in Dolly Pink. 

Overall it is a really nice cream blusher, and the colour range is really pretty and punchy.  I can't rave about it because I am still a bit unsure as to whether I can pull off the look generally, but if you are looking for a decent priced cream blusher, then you could do a lot worse than this offering from Topshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment