Tuesday 28 August 2012

God bless the Children's Department


I am a massive fan of the new leather sleeved parka jackets that are around at the moment.  Zara pioneered the look in their Summer 2012 collection but they flew off the shelves and can only now be found on ebay for prices in excess of £100.

Topshop and Primark have brought the design out in their Autumn/Winter '12 collections at £65 and £25 respectively.  Much excitement.

I bought the Topshop version in a petite size 4 and it fitted terribly. The sleeves were nice and fitted but the main body of the coat was huge and just puffed out making me look 10x the size I actually am.

Now I recognise the look is meant to be grungy and baggy but in my opinion you can get flattering baggy and unflattering baggy.  This was definitely the latter.

So then I tried Primark's offering in a size 6.  Again too big.  But!  If the Primark option fits you, I'd definitely say to go for that over the Topshop one. The difference in quality certainly doesn't equate to £40.

So..I'd almost given up on my leather sleeve-parka dream.  But I was having a nosey around New Look today and they do it in their children's department!  You literally can't tell the difference.  So one age 10-11 purchase later and my leather-sleeve-parka obsession has been satisfied.  I'll post a photo at some point so you can see how similar it is.  If, like me, you're petite and you still want a bit of 'fitted' to your grungy/baggy look, I'd definitely recommend it .

No comments:

Post a Comment