Thursday 1 August 2013

Sinful Colors - 850 Big Daddy

So, here comes another nail varnish post..yayyy..another excuse to get my wrinkly little hands out there on the internet.

Now, a few months ago I was having an idle little wander in my local Boots and I spied a new nail varnish range, on a stand, over by the food section.  New ranges always excite me.  They offer potential...they could be your new dream nail varnish sitting right there, on a stand, by the food section.

The cosmetics snob in me (I'll be honest) spied the £1.99 price tag though and the somewhat interestingly titled "Sinful Colors" and thought hmm...maybe not for me. I'd never heard of the range and for £1.99 how good could they be. And why were they by the food section?  Were they not goof enough for the cosmetic section? Purchase temptation over.

But the intrigue got the better of me and I decided to Google them.  They are an American company launching over here and the photos on blogs looked quite impressive coverage-wise etc. So when I was back in Boots (this happens a lot) I decided to try a few colours out on my nails.  10 multi coloured nails later and I had 5 pots in my hand, which I was staring at trying to force myself to buy only one.  I swear the people in Boots must think I am so strange, but they make so much money out of me I doubt they question it.

Anyway.  Firstly the colour range is HUGE.  The Sinful Colors stand is like a big rainbow of nail varnishes and a lot of them are in highly wearable colours (aside from a few questionable sparkly yellows in between).

I found about 6-7 really nice, juicy red/coral/pinky shades and really struggled to pick between them.  I settled on 850 Big Daddy, which is an orange-red, as I don't own any orange-reds (that's my justification anyway.)

The first coat went on easily although there is definitely a slight jelly-like consistency to this nail varnish.  I don't know if this is typical of the whole range as not all of the testers I tried seemed jelly-like, so it might differ from colour to colour.  The coverage wasn't amazing on the first coat.  It wasn't the worst I've had but it certainly wasn't the best by a long shot.  It was quite watery and there's no way you could get away with just one coat of this.


First coat

The second coat went on with a much deeper coverage (although I think I applied it slightly thicker too) and the colour really started to 'pop'.  I applied a third coat as the second coat had that really annoying finish that you get with some nailvarnishes, where you can still see the 'white' of your nail through the colour.  I hate this. It might be due to the jelly consistency though, as by nature jelly nailvarnishes are more transparent.

After 3 x coats and no top coat

Having said that though, for £1.99 I'm pretty impressed with this nail varnish.  I think the coverage after the 3rd coat is really good and the colour was really bright and juicy looking.  It dried pretty quickly after 3 coats, and I also didnt need to apply a clear top coat as the finish was surprisingly really glossy.

You get a really decent sized bottle for your money, and the nail varnish really is pretty faultless for such a cheap price.  It beats the Collection 2000 ones I have used before which are £2-3, as the application was much smoother and the colour richer.

I am 100% going to try some more colours, partly to see if the jelly-consistency is typical across the range. If it is, that's a bit of a shame, but still not enough to deter me from buying again.  I think the beauty with this range is you can dabble in colours and experiment with them, as they are so reasonbly priced.  I also whale through certain colours (i.e. coral reds in summer and deep berries in winter) so if a bottle is only costing me £1.99 it isn't quite as painful on the bank balance.  I'm excited to try some of their deeper colours too, and see if they bring out any more dark colours around winter as their range is very cocktail brights at the moment (I'm assuming for a summer launch).

I just hope they don't disappear from my local store, because they didn't exactly look like they'd be flying off the shelves - maybe for the same reason that originally put me off.  But I say give them a go, I think you'll be impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment